Monday, September 15, 2008

Safe in Hong Kong

What a journey it's already been! Had a tearful, joyful send off with Scott, Angie, Annie, Chrystal and Joanie. And Sadie. It has been very hard to say goodbye to family and friends over this past week, but today (yesterday?) was especially tough. I'm grateful to all of your support that has given me the strength and courage to take this leap. Thank you to all of you.

Safely in Hong Kong, I am suffering from a terrible headache - probably the result of dehydration, jetlag, extreme sleepiness and too many vodkas in the airport send off. I am feeling very "out of my body" and have decided to try to stay awake for these ten hours before my transfer to Kathmandu. Not much to report as yet, except the fact that I'm typing means that it was a safe flight. Good news!

OH, and for the record Cathay Pacific rocks. Good food, a digital movie, TV and music selection. Comfortable seats (relatively) and adjustable headrests. Made the 14.5 hour flight tolerable.

Off to walk. Sitting is making me sleepy. Must stay awake...

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I so wish I could have been there for your send-off, Pam. Who better to celebrate than you and your magnificent journey. Delighted to know your first leg went well and I look forward to reading more and traveling the world vicariously through you.
Big Hugs,
Laurie

Susie said...

Happy to hear that you made it safely to Hong Kong. I like the "Where in the World is Pam?" map! It will help us keep track of you. Just read a piece in the U of Wisconsin alumni magazine about a guy who calls himself a "planetwalker". Many, many years ago, he decided to raise awareness about environmental degradation by not driving or speaking for about twenty years. A "planetwalker", he says, has many meanings. And I suspect that you understand what he means. We love you and miss you, Pam!
susie, bart, and rose (your turtle apprentice)

Michele Kaster said...

After all the goodbye parties our farwell just didn't seem real. A few days after our goodbye John and I were talking about you and Skylar crunched up her little face and started to cry saying I miss auntie Pam. She started me going and we had a little cry together. Skylar wants to say hello:
Hi auntie pam, How are you? I miss you. sChool is good. Ozzie is a wild kitty, today he was dragging himself around the carpet. Someday I will travel with you and mOm. Love Me.
Today we will go to the library and get a book so they can see where in the world you are. Enthusiastic hugs and giggles, Michele & Skylar