Thursday, September 11, 2008

Losing Time

Perhaps this is just a funny coincidence, but maybe it's a sign... This morning I was packing my bag and my watch fell off. Literally just fell off. The band didn't break, it just kind of "unsnapped" at the hinge of the watch face. At first, I thought it had broken and I was upset. Then I started to laugh. A few months ago I had an epiphany that in order for me to get all I could get out of this trip I was going to need to "let go of time." If you've talked to me in person in the last three months or so, you've undoubtedly heard me use those exact words. Isn't the universe hilarious?? In my Seattle life, I tend to be a busy body. My schedule is usually full of fun social engagements. I love to plan dinner parties. I'm always organizing something. Then there are the special weekends that are dedicated to one or two people that I plan months in advance...

This journey for me is about letting go of time in a couple of ways. First, just not relying on my Outlook calendar to direct my life will be a big accomplishment. Second, literally letting go of "Western" time, and that foreign life isn't going to work according to my watch. (I'm sure this will come in handy at the Delhi train station.) Perhaps the universe has a pretty spectacular sense of humor, and I am on the receiving end of a hilarious, karmic joke. I am going to have to relax into my new surroundings with the peace of a yogi, which sounds pretty wonderful to me.

With love,
Pam

No comments: