Saturday, September 6, 2008

Change is hard

As I sit at my desk at work clearing up all the loose ends and trying to leave things in order, I am feeling very sad. Isn't that a strange thing? I'm about to embark on the most exciting adventure of my life, and I'm sad. Am I scared? No. Am I nervous? A little. Sad? Definitely. Change is hard. I have a great life in Seattle. A wonderful, comfortable house. An amazing job with people and clients that I love. An amazing dog who I love more than anything. Good health. An active lifestyle. The love of family and the world's best friends. If you know me well at all you know that I lean towards optimism. Sadness is uncomfortable. And, it's OK. And, really, there is no other way for me to feel right now. I am leaving everything that is comfortable and oh so good. And jumping into the great unknown. The land of bugs, and leeches, and germs, and strangers, and... Yes, here I come back to my center... adventure, wonder and surprise. Everything is going to work out just as it is intended to work out. I will have good days and bad days. In the end, I know that this is exactly where I am supposed to be. And, even though change is hard... often what we need in life is to jump off the tracks of our comfortable existence and into something unfamiliar. I am the only one responsible for my own happiness, and I am jumping, with eyes wide open, into the possibilities of the unknown. I am excited to share this journey with you.

With love,

Pam

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of a story by Richard Bach.
The Crystal River

Once there lived a village of creatures along the bottom of a great crystal river. The current of the river swept silently over them all-young and old, rich and poor, good and evil, the current going its own way, knowing only its own crystal self.

Each creature in its own manner clung tightly to the twigs and rocks of the river bottom, for clinging was their way of life, and resisting the current what each had learned from birth.

But one creature said at last, "I am tired of clinging. Though I cannot see it with my eyes, I trust that the current knows where it is going. I shall let go, and let it take me where it will. Clinging, I shall die of boredom."

The other creatures laughed and said, "Fool! Let go, and that current you worship will throw you tumbled and smashed across the rocks, and you will die quicker than boredom!"

But the one heeded them not, and taking a breath did let go, and at once was tumbled and smashed by the current across the rocks. Yet in time, as the creature refused to cling again, the current lifted him free from the bottom, and he was bruised and hurt no more. And the creatures downstream, to whom he was a stranger, cried, "See a miracle! A creature like ourselves, yet he flies! See the Messiah, come to save us all!"

And the one carried in the current said, "I am no more Messiah than you. The river delights to lift us free, if only we dare let go. Our true work is this voyage, this adventure."

But they cried all the more, "Savior!" all the while clinging to the rocks, and when they looked again he was gone, and they were left alone making legends of a Savior.