Monday, December 1, 2008

Scaring Yourself is Good Fun!


WOW! I just came out of the sky from my first ever paragliding adventure. It was amazing fun, a little scary, and I nearly hurled. But besides that, I had a blast!!! The cost was a little steep in Nepali terms (around $75 USD) but I decided it was an experience I wanted to have...and I'm really glad I did!! (Sorry mom.)

The truck ride there was a hoot and holler - literally! - in itself. Here's a short video of me and Gerdien in the back of the truck ...obviously a little nervous! (I can't figure out why my videos are in sepia, but I think it adds a little character...)



The take-off was a little quick. There wasn't much introduction, except "run, and don't stop until you reach the cliff". Well, that scared the crap out of me, but he made it sound so easy. So I did what he said, and the VOILA! We were in the air floating at about 1,200 feet above Pokhara. We drifted and floated, and honestly, I wasn't scared at all. It was beautiful, and so completely free. The flight lasted about 40 minutes. Here's a short video of one of the early minutes of the flight:



And a few photos from the air...



That's Gerdien below me...
At the very end of our flight, about 200 ft. or so off the ground, my pilot said, "Do you want to have fun?" And of course, there is only one appropriate answer to that question. And, then without further warning I nearly barfed. He did an acrobatic stunt and spun our glider around in circles at about 100 miles per hour. I screamed so loud, and seriously I almost lost my lunch...we were spinning and spinning, and I couldn't even see the lake or anything. I was pretty sure my pilot knew what he was doing, but I sure felt like I was going to die.

But, then I landed safely...thank God and Spirit and all who watched over me!



And here's Serg, the adorable French pilot who kept me safe...thanks Serg!


And, then I had to lay low for a few minutes and relax my stomach which had somehow lodged itself in my throat...

Reflections? Life is short. Keep it fresh and fun. It's good to scare yourself occasionally!! And in case you were worried, I have resumed eating, post-trek fashion.

3 comments:

Barb said...

OMG... I am laughing so hard, I am almost crying! Again, Pam... I am so impressed with your fortitude, I wish I had 1/10th of it!! You go girl... and have a blast! Thank you so much for sharing your travels and experiences - I am living vicariously through your blog! Hugs, Barb

Unknown said...

WOW Pam!! You are doing some crazy shit I never imagined you doing!! And to think you were scared at Kendall Catwalk!! Not anymore...I am impressed with all of your feats. I can't begin to imagine how much joy you must be feeling each waking day. Good for you...miss you though!
xo-Chrystal and the Zigster :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, Pam, you look so green in that last photo, but glad to see you had fun anyway!