Monday, December 8, 2008

Eating Dosas in South India

I arrived safely in India late on Sunday night. So far, it has been rather peaceful compared to what I expected to see based on warning from friends who were pestered endlessly in northern India. When I got a taxi from the airport to my hotel, I was very gruff and said sternly "I DO NOT WANT TO GO ANYWHERE OTHER THAN MY HOTEL!" The guy promised me that the price was fixed (about $30) and that he wouldn't stop anywhere else. It was a nice ride, and he was a nice man, and the road was 100x nicer than anything I'd seen anywhere in Nepal. When we arrived at my hotel he said that I owed him 50% more because it was a night ride. Again, I broke out my mean voice that I had been warned to practice and said "NO! I refuse to pay that. We made a deal!" He agreed that it was his fault for not telling me and waived the extra fee. I guess in India you have to be mean like that. Nepal was much, much simpler.

Angie arrived early the following morning (about 6 hours after me) and we had a joyful reunion even though we were both exhausted. We explored our neighborhood, OTC Road which is the garment district of South India, and then headed into a very local restaurant and asked what was good. Since we didn't recognize the names of anything, and it was a vegetarian restaurant, we said, "What's good? Please give us one of each!" We ended up with two very different looking items, though both were called 'dosas'. One was masala, and was a very thin pancake folded into a triangle and filled with curried potatoes; the other was onion, and it was a bit like a large circular pancake made of shredded potatoes and onion. Both were served with delicious sauces that I can not begin to describe. Yum!

We then headed to the train station to discover our next destination. Which trains would be available? Leaving at good times? Going to places that were on our interest map? Hampi it is! We will be leaving at 10:30 tonight for an 11 hour trip. Since we originally thought it was at 10:30 am, we didn't ask about sleeping facilities... live and learn. We'll see what we get!

Last night, we went on a mission to discover another good restaurant to eat in our neighborhood, and what we discovered is that apparently the garment makers don't eat! We found silks and saris, but no soup. We were too tired to continue looking so we went to bed without dinner... saving up our appetite for another delicious breakfast!

We're off to Hampi... hopefully where Angie can live her new dream of washing an elephant!

1 comment:

Marjie said...

Of course I must comment on your food blog. I discovered dosas years ago in - get this -Crossroads Mall. I love them. There is an Indian restaurant near my castle here (in Ho Chi Minh City)that makes them really well. But eating them in India...I am VERY envious!