Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rediscovering the Joy of Reading

A short diversion from the life of a Spanish student in Guatemala...

While I've been away, one of the hidden pleasures has been the opportunity to read books. That's not to say that I don't read at home, I just don't really give myself the opportunity to read very much or very quickly. That's because my books all sit in wait (usually 8 at a time) on my bedside table. The only time I would usually get around to reading was after I'd crawled into bed for the night. Not a very good plan, if you want to read, or remember, or enjoy.

So, I have learned to love to read again. To pick up a book when it doesn't
involve 10:30 pm and a cozy bed. To read in the middle of the day, because I have the time and gobs of books yet to disover. To devour books. Fiction. Non-fiction. Poetry. Biographies. Read them. Devour them! Dream about them. Go to bed late and then wake up early in the throes of someone's life or imagination.
Here are a few of my favorites from this journey...
This is one of my favorite books I've ever picked up, and hardly was able to set it down before it was complete. It's a poignant tale of cultural misunderstanding, all revolving around a sick, young Hmong girl living in California. I can not recommend this one highly enough. Should be required reading for all medical professionals everywhere, and for those traveling to non-Western countries.
The author is a former New York Times columnist who moved to India with her husband, and ended up becoming entranced by the lives of women in India. Bumiller is an amazing storyteller, and her portrayal of Indian women is spot-on, and gripping.

Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder
Am I the last person in the world to read this book? It's the history of philosophy as told to a 14-year-old Norwegian girl. Her "teacher" starts by teasing her with questions about who she is and what is the meaning of life. Then he begins with the Sophists and moves through the history of philosophy to modern times with ease and clarity. Reading this felt like I had taken a 10-week Philosophy 101 course as given to a high-school student. I was exhausted, enlightened and delighted that someone had put all this wonderful information in such an easy to swallow package!

The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy
A tale of childhood lost by one of India's most popular authors, this story took a while to reel me in, but once it did I was lost in her imagination and story. Though it is a bit dark and depressing, it's certainly compelling nonetheless. (It is, afterall, still making my
favorites list!)

Daughter of the Killing Fields, by Theary Seng
This is the first hand account of a Cambodian woman who had lost both of her parents to the Khmer Rouge by the time she was seven years old. She survives, but not without a novel to write about the atrocities of the Pol Pot era. A really truly inspiring tale about survival, and a good dose of recent Cambodian history to boot.

The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls
What was the last non-fiction book you read that gripped you like a Dan Brown novel? The Glass Castle was it for me. It's the story of a slightly dysfuctional, poor, nomadic family as told by one of the children. It's the story of a girl who wants to believe that her alcoholic father can perform miracles, and that her mother can do no wrong. She dumpster dives, flees from angry landlords and ultimately winds up living on Park Avenue in NYC. It would even be a great novel, but indeed it's a true story.

Annapurna Circuit, by Andrew Stephenson
This one scores brownie points for me, since I read it during my own personal trek through the same paths and through the same small villages that he recounts here. Stephenson has the luxury of taking his time doing the trek, and meandering into some life-changing situations. If you have ever dreamed of trekking in Nepal, this book will inspire you to make it happen!

Currently on my nightstand is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris, alongside my Second Year Spanish Study Guide and 600 flash cards. Whee! I'm going back to read some more now....

2 comments:

Marjie said...

Thanks for the list, Pam, what a great idea! I've read so many non-fiction books about Vietnam and SE Asia this year - one I just finished was "First They Killed My Father" - also about a young girl and her family who were run out of their home by the Khmer Rouge. Very powerful.

Pam Perry said...

I can't believe I failed to mention Dreams for my Father by Barack Obama. If you haven't read that one yet, do it! It's his powerful story, pre-politics. Highly recommended!